Photo of an adult reading to a child
First, you need to determine where you want to work If you want to work in a center...

There are a few things you can do to get started. You may need CPR/First Aid training and a few classes from us will also help. After that, we suggest calling the centers closest to where you would like to work to see if they are hiring. Many of them also post ads in the newspaper.


If you are interested in opening a new child care center, contact Crystal Knippers by email at or by calling 801-626-8083.


Child Care Aware has some insightful information:

If you want to open a family child care business in your home...
  • Decide whether to get a family child care license or residential certificate
    Comparison of basic requirements

  • Visit Child Care Licensing's website (, read the licensing rules for whichever you decide and complete the New Provider Training online.

  • Apply for your license.

  • You will also need a small business license from your city, a current fire inspection, and a current kitchen inspection. You will also need an affidavit of Lawful Presence and a Health and Safety Plan, both of which you can find out more about on licensing's website.

  • Check to see what your city requires for a small business license. Anytime you generate income, you need a small business license. It is also required for your state child care license.

  • Fire inspections can be scheduled through your local fire department and the kitchen inspection can be scheduled through your County Health Department.

  • You will also need CPR/First Aid certification, a food handler's permit.

  • You will need to submit the online background check form, fees, and fingerprinting fees and schedule a time to be fingerprinted either from your local Care About Childcare agency or a local public safety office.

  • Finally, once you receive your license, contact our agency about our start-up reimbursement grant! Our current funding allows us to reimburse $400 of the costs you incur in the licensing process.


Programs that help when starting a new child care Family Child Care Start-up Grant There is currently a grant that will reimburse you for up to $400 of the costs you incur when starting a family child care business. You are eligible to participate in this grant within the first year of your licensing date. This grant is only available for providers who are obtaining a family child care license. Residentially Certified providers are not eligible. When you participate in this grant, you commit to stay in the business for at least 1 year. Contact us at 801-626-7784 for more information concerning this grant. Food Program The Child Care food program is a federally funded program designed to offer aid to help child care homes and centers provide nutritious meals to children ages 12 and under. Sponsoring organizations are listed below. A provider can initially choose to participate under any sponsor. Each sponsor reimburses at the same rate, however, they offer different perks and benefits. Once you have chosen a sponsor, you cannot transfer to or be contacted by another sponsor for a year. Sponsoring Organizations in Utah:


333 2nd St #15

Ogden, UT 84404





Helping Hands Inc.

2964 W 4700 S #210

Salt Lake City, UT 84118





Orem Child Care Nutrition Program

563 W 1700 N

Orem, UT 84057




Child Management Associates

124 S 400 E Ste 210

Salt Lake City, Utah 84111-5312





Child Day Care Nutrition Program

Jeanie Peck

6830 Old Main Hill, USU

Logan, UT 84322-6830




Alliance For Children

4568 S Highland Dr #240

PO Box 575794

Salt Lake City, UT 84117





C&W Incorporated

Joni Greenwell

8364 S Top of the World Dr

Salt Lake City, UT 84121




Care About Childcare - Weber State University

1351 Edvalson St Dept. 1309

Ogden UT 84408-1309
(801) 626-7837

Care About Childcare - Weber State University is a program of Weber State University's Jerry & Vickie Moyes College of Education's Child & Family Studies Department.

Funding is provided by the Child Care and Development Fund and the Department of Workforce Services, Office of Child Care.